Sunday, October 7, 2012

Laughing at Murphy


Dharma Mittra

Dharma Mittra has no idea the hoops I needed to jump through to get to his yoga class yesterday morning, and it was well worth it.

On Friday evening as I was about to leave for the Yoga Journal Conference in Estes Park I saw that my ex-husband, Brian’s, house keeper was calling. And this is how the conversation unfolded:

Me: “Hello.”

Other person: “Hi. I borrowed the housekeeper’s phone to call you. This is the mail lady. Which woman is this?” (Brian got a good laugh out of that remark. Since both of our daughters are in and out of his house, he had a girlfriend for a while, I am often there, and recently his sister moved in, it's understandable that the mail lady has no idea who's who.)

Me: “This is the ex-wife, Jen.”

Mail Lady (ML): “Oh, hi! So, I found the cat.” I don't reply. (Jamie, Brian's sister, moved into his house about a month ago and her cat, Brave Heart, ran away, but after three weeks, happily, Brave Heart had found his way back home on Tuesday.)
ML continued: “So, I found the cat earlier today on someone’s porch down the street. It was sleeping in a chair. I brought it to Brian’s and a neighbor checked the front door. When we found it unlocked, we tossed the cat inside the house.”

Me: “You opened the door and threw a cat inside?”

ML: “Yes. Well, the neighbor opened the door. It was unlocked, and we didn’t want the cat to get away again.”

Me: “That’s not our cat! Brave Heart came home two days ago. So, you are telling me you tossed a strange cat inside the house when no one was home?”

ML: “Oh-oh.”

Me: “Listen, I know you had good intentions. I was headed out of town, but I will head over there right now and check it out.”

I knew that the housekeeper wasn't about to go looking for the fuzzy intruder, but I had visions of the cat eating my daughter’s rats or killing Brave Heart. However, when I got to Brian’s house the gray striped imposter (who could very well have been Brave Heart's relative) was curled up on a bed, purring, thoroughly happy to have found a home where it could sleep inside, out of the cold, in a decent bed. It acted like it had lived there forever, which caused me to wonder: Which cat was the original cat: the one on the bed or the one on the couch? Fortunately, I remembered that Brian and Jamie had placed a collar on Brave Heart, so this had to be the wrong cat. I called the mail lady to get the address where she had found the imposter and I carried him home. Sadly, as I approached his home, kitty grew increasingly tense and agitated. I explained that we would really like to keep him, but we couldn’t take on any other responsibility at this time.

So, I am on my way home to pick up my bags for Estes when my intuition tells me to check my tires. One tire is down to 15 pounds. The first station I go to the air pump has an “out of order” sign. When I put quarters in the machine at the second air station, nothing happens. It is evidently also out of order. At the third station: success! I decide that the leak must be slow enough that I don’t have to worry driving an hour away and after picking up my bags, at last, I set out to Estes Park. Evidently, I was intended to leave two hours off schedule. I always trust those signs. I am happy to say I did remove the correct cat and my tire made it through the trip without further incident.

I slept well in a lovely, quiet, little room at the YMCA of the Rockies. In the morning I decided to get to my yoga class 20 minutes early to set up my mat and meditate, but when I got to the door and the young man checked my badge, he informed me that I had signed up for FRIDAY classes and that I needed to go down to Administration to change my class schedule. I asked him if I could do it after the class, but evidently people have taken advantage of their system in very un-yogi like behavior, and I was not to be trusted.

When I arrived at Administration, the line was quite long. I was already put off by the Conference because they charge a nonrefundable fee of $100 to cancel a day of classes and the day of classes cost quite a bit. I would have cancelled, because I had other profession obligations related to graduate school, but there was no way I was going to pay a $100 penalty. Evidently their system works, but it stills feels like big business and somewhat unspiritual.

Dharma Mittra
So I arrive in the registration line no longer feeling yogi-like unless Yogi bear with a hungry stomach qualifies. I am feeling like maybe I will bite someone’s head off, but to my credit having practiced enough yoga before I got to this moment in my life, while I am feeling rushed, I communicate my frustration (I think) quite graciously. I can’t imagine how I signed up for Friday classes when I KNEW even back THEN, 3 months ago, that Fridays are booked up. However, it has been a long time, so, evidently, I made a mistake. It would have been helpful to receive an email confirmation of classes, to which the blonde woman with henna-painted hands addressing me said: "You could have looked it up.” Why would I look it up if I didn’t know anything was awry? At any rate, she is understanding enough and instead of making me pay for a second day, all she charges me is a $10 change fee. But, she adds: “Oh, you are signed up for Dharma Mittra’s ‘Inviting Grace into Your Life’ class. That will be perfect for you.” (Implying possibly my lack of grace.) Instead of biting her head off, however, I thank her and jog out the back door and back up the hill to the building.

Seane Corn
By the time I roll out my mat, I am deeply grateful that I have such luxurious problems. I know I am right where I am meant to be. I know that coyote will mess with me and I will be ready, because there is so much work to be done. I feel lucky and blessed that I can laugh at Murphy's Law and trust that coyote and Murphy are in cahoots with a higher power. It's one thing to stand up for the innocent and quite another to let my ego run the show. If I am angry or holding onto something "for the principle of it" I will miss an opportunity to love more deeply and to show up more fully. Instead I could move into the moment and receive what Dharma Mittra had to offer.

Later in the day, I joined in the attempt to set a Guinness Book of World records for the most people in a room doing yoga (and we did it! 255 people in a yoga chain). Also, I was fortunate to be able to take a yoga/hiking class with renowned climber, Olivia Hsu, and a yoga class with goddess Seane Corn. A diminutive woman, when she takes the stage she transforms into a lioness with a mane... her deep voice and profound messages rock the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment