Friday, July 20, 2012

Life in the Mystical Middle


There are no accidents. When we get out of our way and open to the possibilities outside of ourselves, the universe responds. Sometimes we miss the signs, but eyes wide open we will be led.

One of my favorite coincidences was the time in graduate school that I was required to choose a favorite author and a topic and speak to it for 30 minutes. I am a huge fan of the magical realism of Isabel Allende (Eva Luna and The House of Spirits - also a great movie by the way), probably because my life has been so blessed with synchronicity - full of wonder, occasionally strange and seemingly impossible. I decided to address the differences between fantasy, surrealism and magical realism.

I was walking down the hall at University of Colorado when I ran into a classmate. She asked me how I was doing and I told her about my report due the following day. “Isabel Allende is speaking at the Tattered Cover in Denver tonight!” she informed me. I couldn’t believe my luck! I had no idea!

When I arrived at the renowned bookstore, people were already pouring outside of the crowded room. I don’t know why but I impulsively plowed a path through the mass. Stepping over people: Excuse me. Oh sorry! I managed enter the room, stopped at the end of the open aisle. At that exact moment an elderly woman on the aisle of the 3rd row turned and motioned to me with her index finger to approach her.

“Me?” I said, pointing to myself. She nodded. When I got up to her, she indicated the open chair next to her and said, “Sit with me. I don’t think my friend is coming.” Again, I couldn’t believe my luck! I thanked her profusely.

Finally, Isabel Allende emerged from a back room and we stood and applauded. When the audience had settled she said in her beautiful Chilean accent: “I thought today it would be beneficial if I spoke to the differences between fantasy, surrealism and magical realism.” I almost fell out of my seat. I began to babble about it to the elderly woman, but she was focused on Ms. Allende.

Yesterday I wrote to a friend about how in this lifetime I am clearly being asked to let go of the bank and flow with the wild river. When I resist the river, unable to trust, I start to swallow too much water and lately I have been prone to cling to the rocks by the bank. So, it was no surprise that I received a sign last night. (Sometimes they are so subtle I miss them, but this one could no more be missed than a naked hippie dancing in the fast lane of Interstate 36.)

Last night I was on my way to a class at Regis University in Denver. I brought along a Pema Chodron CD, Fully Alive, I had just purchased. She read from a book by Margaret Wheatley called Perserverance:

“Here is a river flowing now very fast. It is so great and swift that there are those who will be afraid, who will try to hold onto the shore. They are being torn apart and will suffer greatly.” Pema adds: So this is going to be the main theme of this retreat – staying in the middle of the river, not holding onto the shore. She continues reading: “The elders say that we must led go of the shore. Push off into the middle of the river and keep our heads above water… See who is there with you and celebrate… At this time in history we are not to take anything personally – least of all ourselves… the time of the lone wolf is over.”

We can relax into impermanence. She recommended the book Buddha's Brain by Dr. Rick Hanson because it explains our survival reactions to pain. Pleasure and pain alternate. Feelings will always be. This lone wolf is ready to trust the river, to celebrate with the other brave souls. (Pema is my inner tube.)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment